Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The weekend wrapup

I forgot to mention that Zed’s personality is coming through. He has started to bark more. Either when he is out in the yard or when someone (usually Dan) comes in the back door. His favorite toy is a rope toy. He will either sit with it and start pulling strings or will shake it. He loves it when you play tug of war with him. If you throw it, he will retrieve it.
When I’m watching TV, he will jump up on the couch with me and lay down next to me. Yesterday, he actually got up on my lap and snuggled.
This weekend was full of house errands. Paperwork for Dan’s work, groceries, yard work, Home Depot, baths for both dogs and the usual stuff (laundry, dishes, etc). The fun things – catching up on recordings on the DVR (finally caught up on Lost) and finding geocache #200. Dan wanted to wait for me to get this one.
Dan was so wanting to have a bonfire and smores on Saturday. He started a fire and I’m standing there thinking and saying to him – maybe the wind to too strong. Next thing you know, sparks start flying out – just a couple. I went inside, came back out and the wind really whipped up and there were sparks EVERYWHERE! Dan said immediately, get me the spray bottle, and put the fire out.  Sunday morning, Dan said that he was standing at the kitchen island later on and he looked outside and the firepit was going strong! He said he felt embarrassed since he really thought it was out.
RANDOM THOUGHTS
One of the shows I was catching up on this weekend was Ruby. She is on such an amazing journey and I’m glad she is doing it the slow and steady way with no surgery. She is dealing with re-learning how to eat and the mental side of how she got to the size she is (and was) along with the new mentality she will need to keep the fight going. One of the biggest things that just amazes me is that she doesn’t remember her childhood. I mean, I don’t remember EVERYTHING in my childhood, but I have memories – good & bad. There are portions that I wish I could forget – basically because I am embarrassed that I lived that way/in that situation.
This last episode really made me think – these women/Ruby’s friends had things they kept inside too because they were embarrassed of them yet here they were, letting it be shown to the whole world. It reminded me that EVERYONE has something in their childhood that they wish would never had happen yet it did and it made us the adult we are today. We don’t know what the adults (around us when we were children) were thinking when we were going through that situation. Maybe they weren’t aware how much it was going to affect us or they didn’t know how to handle it themselves or maybe they were trying to protect us.

I never had a chance to really ask the questions of my parents - sometimes I wish I had or could. One question that I’m glad I did get to ask of my Uncle Victor – about the relationship with his parents (my grandparents, Dad’s parents). One of the things that stood out with me (my memories) was he didn’t bother coming to their funeral or even dealing with the estate. He left it all up to my mom. I knew he wasn’t close to them, but my impression (of a 16 year old) was he just wanted the money and that was it.
I asked Uncle Victor and he told me that when he moved away, he just kind of drifted apart from them. I asked about his grandmother (my great grandmother, who died when Grandma was 11)– if Grandma had ever spoken of her mom. He said Grandma (his mom) wasn’t a very social person and didn’t talk about it.
It obviously affected her (Grandma). Maybe that is why she was “jealous” of me – seriously – that’s what Mom & Aunt Helen would say. Grandma was NEVER loving towards me – Grandpa was.
Anyway, as an adult, now I understand how things that have happened in your past affect the person you are today and unless you want to change it, the cycle will continue. Thanks to Ruby, I am thinking about my childhood (and just memories in general) more – the good & the bad. Random Thoughts will include those memories – maybe in detail, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment