Poor Zed - he has been to a point where he was losing his fur (all of it) and is now at a very healthy, but still his belly is pretty bare and he still has some barespots. I know whatever breeds he has in him are not winter dogs. Heck, he's not even a rain dog. He HATES going outside in the rain.
He LOVES going for walks. Now that it's colder though, he starts shivering when we stop. I never really cared about putting clothes on dogs - they have fur - why do they need anything else? Zed is a perfect example for why they need more layers.
I bought him a parka last year, but it was towards spring so we didn't use it. Yesterday, it was 18 degrees out - FREEZING! So I pulled it out. He wasn't too happy with it on (see below).
He's momma's boy, so he'll do anything for me. We started out and he walked across the street to the first alleyway and peed. Then kind of lagged behind me. I thought it was the coat. All I could think of was "The Christmas Story" where the brother couldn't put his arms down with his snowsuit on, because you could tell he was trying to get used to it. We made it a block & 1/2 and he went poop then wouldn't go any farther. I figured it was the coat - nope - I took it off and he still was turned back towards the house. He was done. Too cold.
So, here I am, with one dog facing the way we had came and the other facing forward. I had to talk Esa into going back home - I was just waiting for the wining to start, but I think she knew. We dropped him off and off Esa and I went.
I think Zed's turning point is around freezing. He'd rather just stay home in bed - wouldn't we all.....
At least the color of Zed's parka blends in with his fur. The other dogs will NOT laugh at him! :)
ReplyDeleteI don't blame him for wanting to head home. I stay out in the cold as little as I possibly can too.