Friday, January 20, 2012

No longer your house

So I try to check out the hometown paper online every so often.  Today must have been a slow day (as if that's different than any other day).  They posted the following "article" and video.

Remembering the Schwarzenbach house that was
By Christine Loman
Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:32 PM
Jean Travis doesn’t like to go down Hill Street anymore. It isn’t that the neighborhood reminds the Hornell resident of old times, it’s that more recent days haven’t been weathered so well.
Travis used to live at 85 Hill St. in the Schwarzenbach House. Her father bought the house in 1948 from the Schwarzenbach family when he got called up to the railroad from Owego. Travis lived there until 1984.
Travis says when she sees the house now it makes her feel sick.
The house has changed hands and fallen into neglect since the 1980s. It was damaged in a suspicous fire in 2003. The blaze started in the cellar and made its way up through the second floor.
For Travis, 85 Hill St. is a wasting remnant of happier days. A pillar on the front porch is slowly rotting away.
The home where Travis saw her parents celebrate their 50th anniversary and raised her son has fallen queit, hushed by vacancy and decay.
Remembering the inside
“It was just a beautiful home with this beautiful woodwork inside and the sliding panel doors. and diamond cut glass windows and colored glass windows. It was in perfect shape.”
The ‘castle on the hill’
“Daddy used to call it his castle on the hill and Mother had a great big flower garden out back with flowers in it and I tell you it makes me sick to look at it now.”



So - what's your point?  Over half the houses in Hornell are rundown.  Obviously, there was a reason why you moved out of the house lady.  Don't get me wrong.  It's sad that the old houses are becoming rundown, but it's a fact of life.  Especially when people don't have money to fix the house.

I was lucky.  The house I grew up in was sold to someone who took the time & money to fix it up (and sold it).  I think the people who it was sold to are still living in it and have done even more to the outside.  However, I can't drive by it.  I think I've driven by it once since I sold it in 1998.  No matter what the shape of the house, the memories are still there and it's hard.

I wonder why they posted this.  Is the historical society trying to get money to fix locations?

No comments:

Post a Comment