Aug 12, 2008
how other people live and how church changes things
I know realize the basis for "Wasted" on Planet Green. Having 3 people in our house that are from a different household (and a different part of the country) for the weekend, you see their habits (I'm not saying that in a bad way) when it comes to being "green". Come to find out, my sis-in-law didn't know about "being green". Anyway, it was just interesting. They do recycle (bottles and cans), but they don't use dishtowels at all in the kitchen – papertowels are it. I also know that they (all 5 of them) use a new bath towel every day (that's a lot of laundry).
Like I said these observations are not in a bad way – just a preference and convenience for their family – to me, nothing wrong with that, because I understand the preference. I guess for me, being green also means saving money. Because it does – less laundry; smaller utilities bills, less trash (that means less trash bags used), - less money being spent period.
I was raised in the church – Assembly of God – and every Sunday it was "expected" of us to go. No questions asked. My mom and aunt were very much active in the church, since the Caprarulos were one of the founding families of the church! Anyway, my brothers and I grew apart from the church, but I know that it has made us good people. My sister-in-law, Joanne, wasn't really raised in the church like us. She believed in God, but her personality was a good person, but don't cross her! She'd hold a grudge forever (I've experienced it first hand!). A couple of years ago, she started going to the AG church again and her life has changed. No more smoking, no more holding grudges (she forgives) – she is just more at peace with herself and with her world. I'm so proud of her. We've always been close (except for a period of time after my parents passed away). It was so nice this weekend to spend time with her and remember how well we get along. I swear, if we lived closer to each other, we'd be getting in trouble somehow. We laugh a lot and can have serious talks too. The short of it – it's amazing how a person can turn their life around. Church has affected my niece too. She's starting a Christian college next week studying international studies. Her plan is to become a missionary. Chrissy has just grown so much since starting to attend church. She's actually getting out of the area and traveling (Mexico & Scotland already)!
No comments:
Post a Comment