Friday, August 12, 2011

Ode to Jani Lane AKA Where the Down Boys Go

"I never thought it would end this way...."
- I Saw Red

I woke up this morning to hear that Jani Lane, the former front man of Warrant, was found dead in a hotel.  I hate to say it, but it didn't surprise me.

In 2008, Dan and I were on vacation in Virginia Beach at the same time as a music festival where Warrant played.  I knew something was terribly wrong then.  I just felt so sad for Jani back then, but as the song goes "I didn't think it would end this way".  I expected to see him on Celebrity Rehab, but for the good.

I've been a fan of Warrant since the beginning.  I had their first CD when I lived in Hornell (in 1989).  I can remember listening over and over to "Sometimes She Cries" after my parents passed while I sat there crying.  I think that's why it's such a tragedy to me and why this has really touched me.

I've seen them several times - in their heyday and after.  When they taped
Warrant: Live - Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich at Hammerjacks, I was there.  The last time I saw the band was last year at M3 with the new singer (who was really good).

Such a talented artist - RIP Jani!

No comments:

Post a Comment