Saturday, August 6, 2011

Celebration of a miracle with a concert

Ok - sort of a celebrating with a concert! 

Vincent's surgery was on Monday (August 1) and on Tuesday (August 2) Dan and I went to a concert.

We went to see Cinderella at Rams Head Live.  What a show!  I forgot all of the songs that I knew from them.  I have all of their cds, but didn't think I listened to them so much that I knew every single song that they played!

So, anyway it was kind of a celebration that I could tell my brother I was going to see them since about 2 weeks before, he texted me that Cinderella was going to be in New York.  He knew it was a band that I liked.


Back to Monday - Vincent's surgery was scheduled at 7:30 am.  All day I was thinking of him and we had been texted during the weekend.  I texted the family several times to get updates.  About 2:30 pm my SIL texted me that they had removed his bladder and were reconstructing it.  At about 4:30, I got a call and this is where I found out about the miracle.

At about 10:30 am, the surgeons came out and confirmed with Joanne that she wanted them to continue because the cancer was surrounding a major artery that runs down the leg.  The risk was great that if they cut the artery, Vincent could bleed to death.  If they didn't do anything, he would probably have a year to live.

When they finished the surgery, the surgeon came out and said that he had 2 other surgeons go in behind him and THEY HAD REMOVED ALL OF THE CANCER! They did end up giving him a bag instead of reconstructing his bladder.  That is just in case he needs to have more chemo sooner rather than later.  That will be the next step if they didn't get all of the cancer or if the cancer is still in his blood.  The other amazing thing - they did all of the surgery with 4 small incisions and a robotic arm.

Vincent is doing really well.  He was in ICU for less than 24 hours and was sitting up within that time.  By Wednesday, he was taking small walks.  He started with more liquids yesterday.

It's just a miracle.

1 comment: