Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday Souvenir



Still staying in the dining room of our house - in our china cabinet (that will be next week), I have a large collection of dog figurines.  All made with different materials, all from different places, and the majority of them are OLD.  I mean old like antiques. 



For some reason, my mom collected dog figurines.  These figurines were never on display at our house so I think it was a collection from before she got married.  I never asked.

As long as I can remember, they were in an old long box (I think a wholesale pasta box)  and stored at my aunt's house.  I can remember on Sundays my Aunt Helen taking upstairs and showing me all of the different dogs.  Taking them out of the box, looking at them, and the putting them away.

There is only one that was my Aunt Helen's - a Boston Terrier (made out of wax?) with a (plastic, full size) fly on it.  I can remember it always being in her china cabinet and asking to take it out to look at it.  Mind you, it was never "played with" - it was just handled and touched with care - hence why it's still in one piece.

It was always a given that they were going to be mine.  When I bought my first (town)house and had the china cabinet, that's what I put in there.  I can remember a few broke on the move from NY to VA or from the townhouse to our current house - there were a couple that were really small and made of glass.

Someday, I will have to look up the figurines, see where/when they were made, and how much they cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment