You'll see a lot of my memories are with my Aunt Helen. She was a big part of my life growing up. She was like the matriarch of the family and I'll just say it - I was her favorite.
Anyway, all holidays were at Aunt Helen's. Christmas Eve was always the traditional Italian Christmas Eve dinner, but I found out that our dinner had a Caprarulo (our family name) twist. I'm not sure why certain dishes were different than the traditional dishes.
After dinner, we would open presents & stockings. When I was young, I used to believe that Santa came to Helen's house early. We would all then go to church for Christmas Eve service.
I would still get presents on Christmas morning at our house and we would go over to Aunt Helen's during the day for leftovers.
We still continue the Christmas Eve tradition. Dan knows that it is important to me and he had the best teacher on how to make the dinner (Aunt Helen). We are luck that Aunt Helen wrote down all the recipes. We have put the Wentz twist on things since we don't eat seafood, but basically everything else is the same.
When Helen went into the nursing home, we started a new tradition. Chinese on Christmas Day. It began out of necessity. There was nothing else open in my hometown and we didn't have leftovers to eat since everything was at my brother's and they spend time with my sister-in-law's family on Christmas Day. We still continue the Chinese on Christmas Day.
After dinner, we would open presents & stockings. When I was young, I used to believe that Santa came to Helen's house early. We would all then go to church for Christmas Eve service.
I would still get presents on Christmas morning at our house and we would go over to Aunt Helen's during the day for leftovers.
We still continue the Christmas Eve tradition. Dan knows that it is important to me and he had the best teacher on how to make the dinner (Aunt Helen). We are luck that Aunt Helen wrote down all the recipes. We have put the Wentz twist on things since we don't eat seafood, but basically everything else is the same.
When Helen went into the nursing home, we started a new tradition. Chinese on Christmas Day. It began out of necessity. There was nothing else open in my hometown and we didn't have leftovers to eat since everything was at my brother's and they spend time with my sister-in-law's family on Christmas Day. We still continue the Chinese on Christmas Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment