So, if you (REALLY) know me, you know that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Rick Springfield. I have loved him ever since I was 13 years old. I didn’t fall for him during Jessie’s Girl or General Hospital. It was “Don’t Talk to Strangers” that pulled me in.
I was supposed to marry him. I had his pictures ALL OVER my room and my locker at school. I had a mark on the wall for how tall he was. I would switch channels when Guiding Light was on to General Hospital just so I could hopefully get a glimpse of him. I asked my brother’s best friend to go see “Hard To Hold” with me because I didn’t have anyone else to go with (I needed an adult to go with me). Nevermind the fact that his dog is name Ron (hello connection 1); my cat, Babe, was born on Rick’s birthday (connection 2); and Rick’s son was born on my birthday (connection 3)! How could it not be meant to be???!!!
It took me 13 years to see him perform. Finally in 1993, I got to see him in Baltimore at a small venue with my friend and future sister-in-law (I didn’t know it at that time). The first song he sang was “Kristina”, which is my SIL’s name! Isn’t that fate? Since then, I’ve seen him at the Fairfax County Fair, Hershey Park, and again in Baltimore (all with my sister-in-law, of course). In 2001, Hubby and I went to Las Vegas and MY sole purpose was to see RS in EFX. I was supposed to see him perform less than 3 miles from my house in 2006 AND friends of mine were opening up for him. Unfortunately, my aunt passed away that day so I couldn’t go.
I was SSSOOOO EXCITED when I read that he was coming out with a book. Of course, October 12, the day of the release, I was at Borders buying it and immediately started reading it. Of course other things got in the way, so I didn't finish the book until this week.
I’m not going to ruin the book for anyone if they are going to read it, so please continue -
WOW. That’s all I can say. My pedestal for Rick has been brought down and I now actually see him as a human with issues like anyone else. Of course, that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t start screaming and shaking if he walked through the door right now.
The best thing I liked about the book is I now know the background stories for the different songs/albums and as I listen to them today, I think about the book and what RS was going through at the time.
Rick’s wife, Barbara, is a very strong woman to put up with him. He lived the rockstar life and she stood by him and forgave him. I don’t know if I could. I liked getting the behind the scenes on what happened when he was arrested.
I loved seeing the other pictures of Ron (his dog) that were part of “Working Class Dog” & “Success Hasn’t Spoiled Me Yet”. I teared up when Ron passed away. I totally understood how he felt when he and his family had to put Gomer (his latest dog) down.
Nothing that was said really surprised me. I understand the rockstar lifestyle. I understand the depression and looking for the “higher power”. Like I said, the book was great at bringing Rick off the pedestal and actually realizing that he is human. If you are a true RS fan, you know about these issues anyway. RS was always open about that when he was interviewed.
It might have been written a little better at the beginning of the book (because it jumps back and forth and you’re not really sure where you are in the timeline. Also I would have liked to have the actual year instead of a date range listed at the beginning of the chapter. Of course, then it might have been twice the length.
Anyway, any Rick Springfield fan will enjoy the book. I know I did and will probably eventually read it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment