The last 12 hours have been rough with Zed. During the night, he started yelping when he moved. He has done that in the past when we've picked him, but this was when all we did was touch him. We both thought that maybe he was just sore from playing with Esa.
Esa and Zed have been playing rougher and rougher. Last night, they were playing, and Esa must have went too far because Zed showed his teeth to her. That was the first time EVER he did that.
So this morning, he still wasn't moving around like usually and not his chipper self so we decided to take him to the emergency vet. I called our regular vet to consult with her. She agreed that they would be able to give him an xray and see if anything was wrong, but thought he might just have a pinched nerve.
Nothing showed up on the xray but the vet suspects that it's degenerative disc disease. I guess it is common in small breeds. He was sent home with pain meds and we are to keep him still. So far, so good. We are crating him (again) and he isn't supposed to use the stairs or jump up on the couch (which he has done already). He has kind of yelped this evening and is sleeping sound (he's snoring). The next step is an MRI to confirm the diagnosis. Extreme treatment would be surgery.
Anyway, we see what happens in a few days with the meds. And the reason for the title - I have degerative disc disease (diagnosed this year). So needless to say, I understand the pain that Zed is going through.
This evening was our company holiday party at our boss's house. Hubby is working, so I was on my own. I got there early so I could get home to check on Zed. It was still going strong when I left.
No comments:
Post a Comment