Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank you Veterans!

Last night I watched, Our America with Lisa Ling.  The episode originally aired on Sunday, but finally got around to watching it last night.

It was a special on Veterans with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disease).  Usually these type of shows don't affect me.  I'll walk away with a "WOW!  I didn't know that", and that's about it.  However, this show/episode had me in tears.  The mental torment that these soliders hold on to is extreme.  You could just see it when you looked at Peter (who they featured).  Luckily, by the end of the episode, you see he is making progress (I hope they have a followup on him).

I have not been personally affected by the current war (ie, I do not have anyone close that is in the service), but have been affected by mental illness.  Maybe that's why it affected me so.  These soliders want to have a normal life, but the events they have gone through have changed their personalities and it is so tough to return to their old lifes.

This is the 2nd time this week I have thought - "I need to help".  The first was when I was watching the Oprah's Lifeclass 1st Friday Joy episode where it featured giving.  I can do that.  Because of couponing, I can donate items that don't cost much to me, but at full price some people wouldn't be able to afford. 

Time to get a game plan and do some extreme giving.......

1 comment:

  1. I've found personally that sometimes the things that seem so small mean the most when you offer a few minutes or a couple dollars to someone in need. It makes you both warm inside.

    ReplyDelete