Thursday, April 18, 2013

Becoming Betty Crocker: Kraft Fresh Take

So I have been seeing coupons for Kraft Fresh Take for awhile now and this past week, they were on sale - you know what that means!  So I picked Cheddar Jack and Bacon out of what the store had.  I figured it would probably be good on chicken.



The plan was pull some chicken out and make mashed potatoes for dinner.  When I was looking for chicken breasts, I thought maybe the Fresh Take would make the Tysons Grilled & Ready Chicken taste better.


Side note:  This chicken was on sale and I had coupons.  I bought a couple of the breasts packages, but mostly the strips for salads.  We tried the breasts once before and they tasted like the chicken that is used in sandwiches at fast food restaurants (probably because it is).  Still, the chicken isn't bad for salads.

So, chicken pulled out, thawed and ready to go.  I mixed the breading mix and dropped the chicken for the "shaking".  See that picture above on the package?  The chicken didn't even start out that breaded!  I had to put the seasoning on top - here's the pre-cooked pic -
 
 You know the food never ends up like the marketing pictures, but I figured, this should definitely taste better than the plain chicken breast.  NNNNNOOOOOTTTTT!!!
 
 
After hubby's first taste, I asked how is it/what do you think.  His response - it tastes like a hot dog!  LOL!  I said it was probably the bacon flavoring.  He also said that it was salty (FYI - we don't add/use a lot of salt).  I almost ate the whole thing, but as Dan mentioned, it was salty.  I was done.
 
Originally, I had put the extra breading mix in the frig (since the chicken was already pre-cooked, I could use the seasoning again).  After dinner, I threw it out.  I almost threw out the Tyson Grilled & Ready too (1 1/2 bags of it), but then figured they would be fine for salads (once I get back into the salad kick).
 
Needless to say, I won't be buying Kraft Fresh Take (or the Tyson Grilled & Ready) again.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry your experience with Fresh Take was a fail! I made the mesquite barbecue one (starting from raw chicken) and that one was wonderful both times we made it. We have another in the fridge, don't remember which flavor right off because David picked them.

    It did make me start to think about making my own shake-n-bake with bread crumbs, spices and zip-locs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good experience! Maybe it was because of the chicken I used. Start with crap, end with crap.... LOL

    ReplyDelete