Thursday, April 25, 2013

Becoming Betty Crocker: Roast Chicken with Cilantro and Garlic

This week at Giant, they had whole chickens on sale for 79 cents/lb.  I figured, what the heck, I'll try it.  It can't be that hard to cook a chicken!

I knew I had the cookbook, Simply Chicken that I was trying to get rid of on paperbackswap.  I had never used it, but figured I would pull it out and see what recipes there were for a whole chicken.  SCORE!  Unfortunately, I can't find the exact recipe on the internet, but I found this recipe which is very similiar.

So reading the recipe, it calls for a pestler and mortar or a food processor.  GUESS WHAT?!  I HAVE A FOOD PROCESSOR!!!!  Amazing right? - since I'm just starting to cook.  Know why?  My Mom & Aunt Helen each had one. 

I don't think they were EVER used though.  I don't ever remember them being used anyway.  I remember seeing them both in boxes.  So many times, I thought of getting rid of it, but NO WAY - NOT NOW!!!  This thing is around 25 years old & worked great!

One of the items that was needed for the recipe was 3 sprouts of cilantro.  Needless to say, I have a bunch left over - you know what cilantro goes in and what is easily made with a food processor??? SALSA!!!!  You know I'm going to try that one!

OK - back to the recipe. 

First step was preparing the seasonings & letting it sit for about 4 hours.

First ever item made with a food processor!
 
Four hours later - basting the chicken (before cooking)
 
BTW - I did know enough to pull out the guts.  Those items (gizzards, livers, heart & neck bone?) got cooked up for the pups.
Inners cooking for the pups

Inners cooked & chopped up for the pups. 
This was added flavor for their dinner :)
 
One and a half hours later, chicken was done & falling off of the bone!

This was such an easy recipe!  We had garlic biscuits and corn with it.  Definitely will do this one again if there is a good sale on the whole chickens.

NOTE:  next time I might put foil on top or put it in a different pan (with a cover).  Whenever I opened the oven, smoke came out.  Good thing our smoke detector by the kitchen is off!

We have plenty of left overs for some good chicken sandwiches!


Yes, the pups have some leftovers too.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment