Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Trying to go Green.....

Trying to go Green.....

06/06/2007 10:45 am
0 comments
0 trackbacks
0 Pageviews..So this week, I've made a conscious effort to recycle/go green. This week I'm doing the following at work:



•taking home my coke & water bottles for recycling .

•I've created a scrap paper pile from the paper that would have originally gone in the trash. - update 6/26 - I'm taking home my paper for recycling. The pile was too much and I was never going to get through it!

•using the hand air dryer in the bathroom instead of papertowels. Using Energy, but saving trees.

The airport is just now getting into recycling more than just cardboard. The effort hasn't started yet, but should (in one concourse only) next month.



I'm pretty good at recycling at home - plastics, paper, cardboard, using towels instead of papertowels, use rags for cleaning, etc. I've started to replace the regular lightbulbs with the energy saving ones - as they go out, so it's taking time. I check out Craig's List, I signed up for Freecycle and Ideal Bite this week. It's a lot of work, but the feeling is good.



I'm always so amazed when we go to Canada - there are recycle bins EVERYWHERE. It's awesome.



Last night went pretty good, until I stopped paying attention to Esa. That's when she starts nipping or when I'm on the floor playing with her. This week the walking away isn't working. She just keeps coming after me. I think I'm acting different though - not just getting up and walking away, but looking at her and talking - which you aren't supposed to do. So, need to make a conscious effort on that. We went for an hour walk. Esa loses her focus a lot on the walk - just so much to take in. I'm thinking about getting the long leash and working with her in the yard to get her to pay attention to us better.



We were looking at the next class in the training - it's basically reinforcing of the same thing we're going over in this class. I'm thinking we should just wait and get her to "perfect" (or as close as we can to it) the current lessons and then go to the intermediate class. She's quite a ways from perfecting any of the lessons when outside. She's pretty good inside, but outside there are way too many distractions.



******



June 13, 2007 - going green update -



An ideal just came to me while I was fixing my lunch at work - why not start bringing my own silverware and cloth napkin? Silverware is easy - we have plenty of it and I always sent it with Dan. I'll have to dig up some cloth napkins. Something simple, but yet, a big impact. We go through a lot of plastic silverware & papertowels here.



*****



June 25, 2007 - going green update -



Charging my cell phone today, and just thought - I have a solar charger for my phone , why don't I use it!



*****



June 26, 2007 - going green update



I just read an article that says that recycled paper napkins are better than cloth when you put the energy to make and wash them into the equation - and some recycled napkins can be composted.



Also, I read about using graywater - basically reusing any water that you can to water plants. This should come in handy since I have to water the outside plants every day lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment